I have been having a great holiday. I did a little traveling this week, and am about to get ready for New Year’s. However, during this time a subject has come up which I think deserves a post. This, is a hack:
You see, the jacks on the front of the TV don’t work too well; the video one in particular needs to be pushed down for the connection to be made. We had tried jamming a wad of packing peanuts in there, which worked for a while, but not for long. What you see here has been working fine for several days now.
However, it is by no means an elegant solution. A better one would maybe involve gluing the connector down. Or even better, resoldering it. But both of these are a little more than we want to put up with right now, it being the holidays and all. This works well, the stone hasn’t fallen out, and we haven’t had problems with the connectors.
When solving a problem it is nice to pick a solution that is simple, practical, lasts, and most importantly, actually solves the problem. The first three of these are debatable in this case, but the latter does not apply. And in the end, addressing this part is what you want to shoot for. However, when it comes to quick, temporary fixes, exploration, and plain-old fun, a hack can be key. Remember to be aware of what you have available to you, as far as tools, resources, and skill, and try to make the best of it.